The Math and Science Center (MSC) is designed to strengthen the math and science skills of participating students. The goal of the program is to help these students recognize and develop their potential to excel in these subjects, to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in related disciplines, and, ultimately, to obtain careers in the many professional fields of math and science.
Program services are delivered in three major components: academic, summer, and Bridge. During the academic component, participants receive services and take part in Saturday academic sessions at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
The summer component is the residential experience during which students live on UT’s campus and participate in academic classes and lab research with math and science mentors. They receive intensive research training, counseling and advisement, exposure to university faculty members who conduct research in mathematics and the sciences, computer training, participant-conducted scientific research under the mentorship of faculty members or graduate students, and education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students.
Top participants are selected as Bridge Scholars and receive a scholarship covering all costs for college-credit courses in the summer after they have graduated from high school.
We are a federally funded program designed to increase the number of students entering college in the science, technology, engineering, and math fields. Our program works with six area high schools, serving a total of 71 students per year.
Are you interested in forensics, chemistry, biology, medicine, or other scientific fields? Is your expertise computer graphics or programming?
Do you like to build or design?
Do you want to turn your math expertise into a career?
Do you know what it will take to make your dream a reality?
If you have dreamed of having a career in the science, technology, engineering, or math fields, but think you might need a little help along the way, then MSC might just be the perfect place for you to begin your journey.
- Laboratory and hands-on experiences in science, technology, engineering, and math fields
- Tutoring services for those who need to improve in any academic area, as well as ACT preparation and assistance
- Career and college advising services and help with scholarship and financial aid applications
- ACT fee waivers and UT admissions fee waivers
- Monthly Saturday sessions with activities including college visits, community service activities, cultural activities, and academic experiences based in the math and science fields
- Six-week program at UT, providing the opportunity to live on campus and experience college life—from academics to social and cultural activities
- Bridge Scholarship program for participants who have shown dedication to the program and to their academics, providing tuition, room and board, books, and supplies to selected students during the summer following their senior year—a total of approximately $5,000
- ALL SERVICES ARE PROVIDED AT NO COST TO PARTICIPANTS!